A 19th century palazzo
The Soho House building was constructed in 1873 by architect Giacomo Leoni, commissioned by powerful Genoese shipbuilder Ignazio Corpi. It took nine years to build this impressive palazzo in the European quarter of the city called Constantinople. Marble was imported from Carrara for the flooring and facings. All doors and window frames are made from Piemonte rosewood and famous 19th century artists were hired to decorate the walls with Greek mythological paintings.
From US embassy, to consulate, to luxury hotel
When Ignazio died, the building was lent to American ambassador John G.A. Leishman, who turned it into the American embassy and his residence. It later became the US consulate until 2003. In 2014, it came into the hand of the Soho House group that restored the palazzo into its former glory and turned it into a hotel.