The True Cost a documentary about the clothes we wear, who makes them and the impact the industry is having on our world. Since we and probably you too, are a true victim of this consumer society it’s about time we become aware of what we’re exactly doing. You buy the latest trends, wear these items one or two times and than they end up somewhere. Final destination: dumpster.
A few interesting facts
1. We consume around 80 billion pieces of clothing each year. That’s an increase of 400% compared to 20 years ago.
2. The fashion industry is n°2 when it comes to pollution (oil remains king of the castle)
3. 250.000 Chinese cotton farmers have killed themselves the last 15 years. For the main reason that they have debts after investing in genetically modified cotton seeds, courtesy of Monsanto.
4. One out of six people works in the fashion industry. The majority of this group are underpaid women. (How to support a family with less than 3$ a day?)
5. Only 10% of the clothes donated to charity get sold. The rest ends up in developing countries where the overdose of textile messes up the local industry.